Friday 18 March 2011

Penpont beckons

At last I have my first session of the new season arranged with a booking on the Penpont beat of the Usk this Sunday. The trickle of early season reports have certainly wet the appetite, albeit that the fishing is quite slow with only sporadic hatches of LDOs and midge observed so far. Based on the flies I've tied to-date I'm feeling reasonably prepared but I won't be expecting a bonanza.

My last few tying sessions have been focused on the March Brown, for which there are various recommended patterns. Here are a couple of simple 'spider' based variants which I've produced.



#14 March Brown variant 1 - with tail


#14 March Brown variant 2 - no tail
March Browns generally hatch in April so I may not get a chance to test these for a few weeks. But the weather is set fair this weekend so I'll be on the look out for any opportunity to fish these patterns. My guess is that patterns like this may prove to be quite versatile and could be deployed to imitate any of the large dark upwings. I'll give them a go throughout the season and post my findings.

No comments: