Sunday 29 May 2011

Glan-yr-Afon beat, River Usk - 24th May 2011

So finally some rain came and it seemed to do the trick. Knowing I had a week off work I had been watching the weather forecasts carefully a few days prior to booking my next visit to the Usk. The forecasts were just about spot on (for a change!) and I observed a slight increase in the river level. So, fueled with optimism I ventured to an unfamiliar beat to see what could be gleaned. The Glan-yr-Afon beat is stunningly pretty and I'm most envious of the locals who live in the village just above the bridge. From an angler's point-of-view this beat has a lot to offer. There's much to explore in the form of numerous riffles, pocket water and flat glides all in a very tranquil setting.

Glan-yr-Afon beat looking downstream. Fishing heaven?!
And today the fishing was good. Despite a stiff downstream breeze and bright sunshine only periodically dimmed by spring clouds, it seemed the recent rain had freshened things up and made the trout a little more active. The fly activity was good with plenty of upwings hatching, including quite significant numbers of Yellow Mays. There were caddis flies about also, so plenty to get the fish interested.

Fish kept on rising throughout the day, albeit rather sporadically. But there was enough to give me hope and the opportunity for targeted casting, rather than just searching the water. Fishing predominantly with an olive Klinkhamer plus a copper john fished NZ style, I was rewarded with 8 brown trout and 1 salmon parr. All fish were in pristine condition and fought hard before reaching the net.


Two pristine examples of the Glan-yr-Afon trout
But there was one fish in particular that made the whole trip worthwhile. In the late afternoon I was making my way back from the upstream limit of the beat when I decided to stop at one of the more productive riffles. I'd seen some rises so made my way to the bottom of the riffle and started to fish upstream. Looking across to the far bank I noticed a rise behind a boulder. I kept my eye on the boulder for while and then it dawned on me what was there - a BIG fish! And it was feeding voraciously, flashing side-to-side taking in nymphs with just the occasional rise signalling its location. By now my rig consisted of a  Klinkhamer with a Yellow May spider pattern on the point. Not exactly a classic combination but something I had been experimenting with, given the significant numbers of Yellow Mays hatching off. The spider (under the Klink) had already accounted for one fish so I saw no reason to change things now. My main concern was getting a decent cast to the boulder, taking into account the presence of 2 tongues of fast water between me and the target. Out went a pile cast which miraculously got the flies to the right spot first time. I saw them drift momentarily around the side of the boulder and then a huge boil in the water followed. I lifted and to my total amazement I was connected. An exhilarating fight ensued with the fish leaping clean out of the water 3 times. After what seemed like an eternity a fin-perfect 16 inch wild brown trout filled my net.
The hard fighting specimen is safely returned. Fish of the season so far!
And the successful fly? The Yellow May spider, of course! So I now proudly declare the Klinkhamer + Yellow May spider to be a "classic" fish catching combination!
The successful Yellow May Spider. Now a bit tatty after todays exploits!

No comments: